Google Maps was launched on 8th February 2005 and is now the most popular map and navigation app in the world.
It is a brilliant mapping application and many of us depend on it for planning routes and navigating to a destination.
The creation of Google Maps brings a lot of convenience and possibility to us and the technology world.
Now, let’s learn more about Google Maps statistics, users, and facts.
Here’s a breakdown of what we’ll cover:
- Most Interesting Google Maps Numbers
- What is Google Maps?
- Google Maps Users
- Google Maps Statistics
- Google Maps Usage Stats
- Google Maps Facts
- Google Maps Competitors
- Google Maps Revenue Model
- Google Maps FAQ
Most Interesting Google Maps Numbers
Here are some of the most fascinating stats about Google Maps:
- Over a billion people are using Google Maps every month.
- More than 1 billion kilometers are driven with Google Maps across the world daily.
- The average monthly time spent per user on Google Maps is 152 minutes.
- Google Maps is the most popular navigation app preferred by 67% of smartphone users.
- In 2021, Google Maps was the most downloaded map and navigation app in the United States with 25.46 million downloads.
- Google Maps was downloaded 13.35 million times by global users In July 2022.
- More than 120 million Local Guides are contributing to Google Maps.
- Google Maps users contribute more than 20 million pieces of information daily.
- Google Maps is updated constantly every second.
- Google Maps ETA predictions are accurate for over 97% of trips.
- More than 5 million active websites and apps are using the Google Maps Platform every week.
- 73% of websites in the United States use Google Maps and Google Maps API mapping technologies.
- Google Maps webpage has 67.9 million visits in December 2022.
What is Google Maps?
Google Maps is a map and navigation platform, available in the web version, mobile application, and API.
With Google Maps, we no longer need to use physical maps to reach an unfamiliar destination. Google Maps allows you to plan routes, like the shortest or fastest route, and send the exact location to others.
You can also get the details like directions, distances, the time required, toll, and business information.
Google Maps Users
Here the stats about Google Maps users.
1. Over a billion people are using Google Maps every month.
2. Google Maps is the most popular navigation app preferred by 67% of smartphone users.
3. In 2021, Google Maps was the most downloaded map and navigation app in the United States with 25.46 million downloads, followed by Waze at 13.42 million downloads.
4. In January 2023, the Google Maps app is the 7th most popular app in Google Play Store in the United States.
5. Google Maps was downloaded 13.35 million times by global users In July 2022.
6. More than 120 million Local Guides are contributing to Google Maps.
7. Google Maps users contribute more than 20 million pieces of information daily.
8. Google Maps has over 10 billion downloads on Google Play Store.
9. Google Maps app is rated 4.1 out of 5 based on 16.6 million user reviews in the Google Play Store and 4.7 out of 5 based on 5 million user reviews in the Apple Store as of January 2023.
Google Maps Statistics
Here are the statistics about Google Maps.
10. Google Maps is updated constantly every second.
11. Google Maps has maps in more than 220 countries and territories.
12. Google Maps ETA predictions are accurate for over 97% of trips.
13. Google Maps use an average of 2.19MB of data per hour and 67KB of data per mile.
14. Google Maps journey time is accurate with only a 1.8-minute difference on average.
15. In 2019, Google Maps Street View car and trekker operations have collected over 170 billion images from 87 countries in 12 years.
16. Google Maps provide relevant local information for over 200 million businesses and places globally.
17. Google Earth contains more than 40,000 terabytes of geospatial data from over 30 years of historical imagery and scientific datasets.
18. Google Earth features more than 36 million square miles of high-definition satellite images.
19. Google Maps webpage has 67.9 million visits in December 2022.
20. Google Maps support 40 languages.
Google Maps Usage Stats
Here are the stats about Google Maps usage.
21. More than 1 billion kilometers are driven with Google Maps across the world daily.
22. The average monthly time spent per user on Google Maps is 152 minutes.
23. The average monthly sessions per user on Google Maps is 50 and the average session duration is 3 minutes.
24. 73% of websites in the United States use Google Maps and Google Maps API mapping technologies.
25. More than 5 million active websites and apps are using the Google Maps Platform every week.
26. Google Maps Platform API offers $200 usage every month for no charge, equivalent to 28,400 map loads.
27. The United States has the most websites that use Google Maps, followed by Japan and the United Kingdom.
Google Maps Facts
Here are facts about Google Maps
28. Google Maps was launched on 8th February 2005.
29. Google Earth was launched in 2005, a few months after the born of Google Maps.
30. Street View feature was launched on 29th May 2007 and has captured over 10 million miles of street imagery.
31. Google Maps for mobile was first launched in November 2007, followed by the android app in 2008 and the iOS app in 2012.
32. Google Maps launched the turn-by-turn navigation feature in 2009.
33. Google My Business was launched in June 2014 to help businesses share relevant information on Google.
34. Google Maps launched the offline map feature in November 2015.
35. Listing your business on Google Maps can increase business visibility.
Google Maps Competitors
The main mapping competitors of Google Maps are Waze, Apple Map, and MapQuest. However, Google Maps still win by a large margin.
Here are the rest of the Google Maps competitors:
- Tom Tom
- HERE WeGo
- GPS Maps
- Android Auto
- Trucker Path
- Roadtrippers – Trip Planner
- MAPS ME
- Gaia GPS: Offroad Hiking Maps
- Syndicated Maps
- Bad Intersections
Google Maps Revenue Model
Wondering how Google Maps make money? Well, there are a few ways Google Maps generates revenue for its company.
Google make money through ad placements from businesses on Google Maps. When a Google Maps user searches for business information, the search listing ads will appear and charge the businesses that are advertised.
Besides, Google has introduced Branded Map Icons for businesses that want to display their company-branded icons on Google Maps instead of a common icon. This revenue model is on a CPM basis, in which Google charges the companies every time the branded icon is displayed.
Google also make money through its Google Maps Platform from companies that need Google Maps API for mapping, navigation, and trackings, such as ride-sharing, food and item delivery, and courier companies.
Google Maps FAQ
1. How often does Google Maps update?
Google Maps update constantly every second.
2. Is Google Maps free to use?
Yes. Google Maps is free to use.
3. Can Google Maps be used offline?
Yes, you can use Google Maps offline by downloading the map area up front.
4. How to Download Google Maps to Use Offline?
5. Does Google Maps use data?
Yes. Google Maps use data to update the map and navigate.
6. Will Google Maps work without the internet?
Yes. Google Maps work without the internet after you’ve started the navigation or downloaded the offline map upfront.
These are the latest Google Maps statistics, users, and facts in 2023. We’ll update the data regularly to reflect the most recent stats of Google Maps.
- Google Cloud
- The Keyword , , , 
- Google Maps Platform
- Google Earth Engine
- Google Play Store
- The Manifest
- Statista , 
- Similarweb , 
- Apple Store
- Insider Intelligence
- builtWith ,